Thursday, January 22, 2009

FIRST LADY FASHION

Well, have you had enough?! What did you think of Michelle Obama's inaugural ensemble? I was going to throw in my two, educated-image-consultant cents and analyze the color, cut, style, texture, fabric, etc., of Isabel Toledo's design, which Mrs. Obama chose and accented with her own glove and shoe picks. However, it's more interesting to note that anyone who is anyone in the fashion critics circles has spoken--with opinions on each extreme:

Kristi Brooks, celebrity stylist -- dresses Sharon Stone
"I absolutely loved Mrs. Obama's dress today. I think the fact that she chose such a bold and unusual choice is right on par with her wardrobe choices throughout the campaign. . . .I thought the color choice was lovely for her complexion, it really popped on her. I love that she chose to wear lace which is such a huge trend this fall; but interpreted it her own way.

Kelli Delaney, designer Members Only
"As much as I appreciate taking fashion risks, I did not like Michelle Obama's outfit. It looked like heavy curtain fabric and reminded me of the Sound of Music when Julie Andrews cut down the brocade drapes and made them into dresses. I think she looks best in bright stretch knits and cashmeres, and I love how she adds personal touches of jewelry to her clothes...those sparkly pins and broaches will definitely become the trend, not her inaugural outfit."

Philip Bloch, celebrity stylist and designer
I was blown away by how elegant and chic Michelle Obama looked. Her dress was exquisite. I thought right down to the avocado toned gloves, ribbon, and scarf, she often chooses the slightest embellishment and touch of femininity to complete her outfits.

Ramy, celebrity makeup artist
"I didn't love Michelle Obama's look at the swearing-in ceremony. . . It looks as though she didn't even think about it. . .The shoes were dreadful and the color of her outfit didn't translate well in pictures. . . The color she wore did not flatter her beautiful complexion.

On and on! So all I'm going to say is "There's much accounting for taste." Okay, okay, here you go: Loved the color for her complexion--a welcome surprise in an earth-toned Lemongrass, perfectly complimenting the warmth in her skin tone. The fabric was a little stiff for her frame--she needs to stay with fabric that drape and skim so she doesn't look "bigger" than she is. The coordinated coat/dress ensemble is very flattering on her statuesque figure, and the cashmere under pieces were nicely functional. However, the bow that secured her pashmina sweater sleeves broke up a nice line she could have shown in front and was distracting, flapping around in the wind and when she walked. How can you argue with the terrific Jimmy Choo pumps and leather gloves in avocado, which perfectly picked up the hue of green in the Lemongrass fabric? The daughters--that's another blog. But, did you see that J. Crew shares jumped more than 10% in trading Wednesday after the whole Obama family donned many of the companies pieces throughout the inaugural festivities. Looks like J. Crew won't be needing a bail out any time soon!

1 comment:

  1. I usually love Mrs Obama's style, but I didn't like this outfit. It looked too 'old' for her. Like something my grandma would choose to wear at a wedding.

    ReplyDelete